Henderson, officially the “City of Henderson”, is one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the US. It is referred as a gateway to Southern Nevada. The city’s proximity to Las Vegas makes it a perfect spot to travel as it is close to the most popular man-made attractions in the world- the Lake Mead, the Las Vegas Strip and the Hoover Dam. Did you know that Henderson is one of the best cities to live in America? Did you know that Henderson is one of the safest cities in and best walking cities in America with over 37 miles of walking trails? Read on some more interesting facts about Henderson-“A Place to Call Home”.
Image By Aaron Tozier (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Henderson's Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Henderson is located in Clark County, Nevada, US. It sits 16 miles southeast of Las Vegas.
- Henderson is the second largest city in the state.
- It has an average elevation of 1,330 ft, located in the southern edge of the Las Vegas Valley.
- Henderson is served by four major highways: Highway 146, Interstate-15, US Route 93 and US 95.
- The city experiences hot desert climate with hot summers and mild winters.
- The city has over 37 miles of trails.
- The ethnic composition of Henderson includes White-76.9%, African American-5.1%, Native American-0.7%, Asian-7.2%, Pacific Islander-0.6%, two or more races-4.8%, Latino or Hispanic of any race-14.9%.
Henderson's History Fast Facts
- In the 1940s, the city was the major supplier of Magnesium in the US.
- On 16th April, 1953, Henderson was officially formed as the City of Henderson, with the help of local industry.
- The city was named in honor of Senator Charles B. Henderson.
- The city was the fastest growing cities in the United States from 1990 to 1998.
Henderson's Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Henderson has Council-manager type of government
- The first female mayor of Henderson was Lorna Kesterson. She served two terms and was the only woman to serve as mayor of Henderson to date.
- Henderson is a great place to work. The top employers are City of Henderson, Green Valley Ranch Station Casino, Sunset Station Hotel and Casino, M Resort and many more.
Henderson's Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- Henderson’s official slogan is “A Place to Call Home”.
- The original townsite in the city was referred by a secret code name- Plancor 201H.
- As per the Bloomberg Business Week, it is one of the “Best Cities to live in the United States”.
- Henderson was ranked as the second safest city in the US by Forbes Magazine, 2011.
- Henderson was in one of the Top 10 “Safest Cities in the America” by the FBI Uniform Crime Report, 2014.
- A scene from “Diamonds Are Forever”, a James Bond movie was filmed in Henderson- Palm Mortuary’s.
- The Henderson Police Department (HPD) Crime Scene was featured in the documentary Real CSI.
- Henderson is the “Best walking city in the United States”.
- Henderson’s daily newspaper is “The Henderson Press”.